Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Ground Control To Major Tom

Is it just me or do most people think that anyone who would spend $20 million to ride into "outer space" (technically, low earth orbit) deserves to have their money confiscated and distributed to the poor? According to opinion polls, I'm in a small minority.

Space tourism is all the rage. OK, maybe "rage" is a bit excessive for a trend that has had a grand total of only four examples. Don't get me wrong, I love science fiction. But this is just another form of Paris Hilton "look at me" narcissism.

The latest example of I-have-more-money-than-I-know-what-to-do-with-ism is the first woman to grow an ego too large for the planet's surface. Of course, the fact that America's space exploration program is being shifted back toward human crews (as opposed to more efficient and effective machines) makes space tourism look like a trivial expenditure. Nevertheless, I still don't like it.

In space, no one can hear you preen.

No comments: